Friday, March 27, 2009

What are you teaching your children?

While riding the metro in DC, a police officer on a bike entered and positioned himself near the door. My thoughts, he's probably coming off shift and getting back to the station to finish up.

A couple of mothers and their little girls (who were very cute I might add) got on as well. They sat near the door, across from the officer. Being the people watcher I am (and eavesdropper too, yes, guilty) I overheard the girl in purple ask her mom "what a police" is. The mom responded, "they take you to jail if you misbehave." The officer glanced down, and looked away quickly. (I'm sure he hears that a lot). The girl asked "why do they do that?" and the mom responded "when people are naughty they have to go to jail and the officer brings them there."

Period.

There was no mention of the GOOD police officers do.

What about keeping our roads safe by ticketing those who are breaking the law (again, guilty, just never caught). People grumble when they get a ticket, but just think, speed limits and traffic rules are there for a reason: public safety. If everyone did what they want and as fast as they wanted...the injuries and deaths would only increase!

What about teaching kids to say no to drugs. Okay, admittedly the DARE program has its flaws; however, who else is going to put the effects of using drugs and how students are first introduced to drugs? yes, parents do so but come on...sometimes learning from a different authority figure comes across stronger.

What about searching for lost children. How many times have you as a parent "freaked" out when your child was out in the neighborhood, unknown to you? What is one of your first thoughts....call the police.

What about being a visible presence in the community to deter criminal activity. How many of you avoid certain areas in your town because it's a "bad area?" I bet you've also seen cop cars and patrols there as well. What would your area be like without some routine patroling?

What about often being the first on the scene of an emmergency. Personal experience here: my brother had a seizure when he was 2, scariest thing I had ever seen. The first person on the scene was an officer. He helped my mom and I calm down and also got my brother ready for the ambulance. Then, as my mom rode with my brother to the hospital, he took me there too. Along the way we talked about what happened and what would happen at the hospital Being 10 years old, I still remember his kind words and how much he helped us that day.

What about community oriented policing that works directly with the residents and business owners in a collaborated effor to curb crime, enhance living, and crisis intervention among families. Sometimes the police sponser athletic leagues and social activities for at-risk kids. This allows everyone to see police as a necessary and not always bad face in the community.

I've wanted to be a police officer since I was in preschool when the teacher asked "what do you want to be when you grow up." I've changed a little since then, but I still work in the criminal justice system. yes, police are there to arrest those who do not obey the laws, they seek to prevent and detect crime, and maintain order. people who break the law should be held responsible.

to that point, telling your children that if they misbehave and are naughty the cop will bring him/her to jail is not the whole story. I only hope that family will also bring up the many, many good things police do for our communities.

now, don't even get me started on the media's effect on the vision people hold about police......

3 comments:

Tasha said...

well said. :) It's funny how people don't think about those things that they are telling their kids.

Marcie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you and AMEN! As a mother of 2 police officers (and ex-wife to 1), I, too, wish people would emphasize the good our law enforcement does and the risks they take everyday to keep this world sane and safe!!

mjane said...

Great statement. My father is a retired police officer and it used to just infuriate him when he would here people tell these things to small children. He always said "someday if they ever need help they won't approach a police officer out of fear." So true! Kudos to all in law enforcement that risk so much each and every day!