Wednesday, June 25, 2008

to get my masters or not.....

I found this great online program to get my MS in Criminal Justice and several co-workers are beginning this in July. I think these last couple months have sparked an interest in returning to school for my masters. I think I can handle the time committments and the classes seem interesting (I looked through a couple text books already). It's mostly papers and I LOVE PAPERS! It's all online so no traveling and you receive the same degree that on-campus students do (University of Cincinnati).

Here's my thoughts:
1. A master's degree gets me no further than my bachelor's in my current job. No raise or quicker promotion rate.
2. We're not sure on the whole kid thing, if we do, it'd be in the next couple years but I'm confident I can handle that and schooling. Even with DH's crazy schedule.
3. After DH's residency, 4 years still, and kids or no kids, we're not sure if I'll work. I like to think I wouldn't but I do love my job a lot so giving it up would be tough, even to spend with my kids. If I don't work, this degree would sit on the shelf until kids are grown and I return to work, maybe.
4. This degree definately gets me into federal jobs, and federal pretrial and probation is a dream job of mine. Applying for this depends on location of openings and if I'll still be working at that time.
5. After raising kids, and I'm home, my master's sets me apart from other applicants in 10-12 years, when jobs will require more than just experience....think, 10-15 years ago a college degree was sufficient to move ahead. I know from experience in the criminal justice field that your experience is just as critical.....if not more so than the degree itself. So, in 10-12 years, that master's will aid me in going back to the job market. (again, that's if I stay home with any kids we may have....)
6. cost: about 20, 000 (but compared to med school, that's a drop!) Through FAFSA financial aid, I would get this covered fully through loans that mostly wouldn't be paid until graduation. At that time, DH will be 2 years from being done with residency and at that time (2012) our finances will be in a lot better shape.....

So, what are your thoughts? I was resistant to going back to school, but finding this program, talking with some friends, and thinking about it for a week now, has sparked it in me. I guess, I still am torn on the decision and I hate the unknowns about the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you should go for it Jana. If having a family is on the back burner at the moment and you're basically 'waiting' for David to get done with school too, you might as well. Besides, I agree that if you did become a stay-at-home mom that the masters would help you get back into the work world in a few years. Molly's actually going back for her masters for basically that exact reason...you should talk to her!