UPDATE:
my mom and 2 neighbors/friends are moving into a 2 bedroom, 1st floor again and brother, his gf, and her mom (apparently she was living w/ bro and gf) in a 2 bedroom, on yup, the 3rd floor (same positions as before the fire)
My mom's cats made it out! Animal control has them until they are settled! My brother's and my mom's friends cats are gone. My MIL is bringing things later tonight, they move in tomorrow. The new apt is super: lunch, no application fee, first month waived. My mom got a couple shirts and jeans and scarf and mittens from the school place last night.
SIZES:
my mom: 6 pants, S, M shirts
my brother: 34 waist, 34 length, large shirts
bro's gf: 5 pants, med shirt
bro's gf mom: 8 long pants, m/l shirts
I can collect things for packages to mail. Please know my mom is shell-shockedand thankful right now. Her words: "J, this is a nightmare. I just want to wake up. " When I told her the outpouring of thoughts, prayers, gifts she broke down and was incomrehensible. My brother deals with things like this completely different: shutting down. I have learned not to push, and he comes to me. He hasn't called yet, but he wrote on my facebook. That's M for you!
The community in Minneapolis-St. Paul has been generous as well. The company that manages the complex, the chairman donated 50K as well as another business man in the cities. Toys, blankets and stuff are being donated by the carload.
I did reorder the photos, mom was on the other line trying to order them at the same time. The sales lady was so sweet, just told her, ma'am we have ordered your photos, they will be ready on the 9th. My mom quickly called to share the "good news" from the photo place and I said, mom, you're welcome. That broke her heart again!
She's realizing the that starting over will be hard. That she's been wantng and needing a "fresh" start, just didn't think it would be this stark, on a holiday winter's night, robbed so brutally.
I think I am all out of tears for now. As much as I have always been the "mother" in this relationship, I am doing all, and doing the best I can right now.
I leave you tonight with this: " When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
I believe my family is in darkness, seeing the stars of wonderful, wonderful people.
No comments:
Post a Comment